Food Banks in Weymouth and Portland
Two separate organisations, but with a common purpose - to feed those in need
Weymouth Food Bank
is located in Weymouth Baptist Church, 18 The Esplanade, Weymouth, and is open on Tuesdays and Fridays between 10.30 am and 12.30 pm - see map.
Started by Lily and Bob Mockett in 2012, the work of the food bank has grown rapidly over the time since. Supported by most of the churches in the town, several of the large supermarkets, and many organisations and individuals, who supply us with gifts of food, toiletries and donations.
820 people were fed in that first year; in 2015 we fed an amazing 2,547. Sadly, the need for this help is growing rapidly. We praise God for His constant provision so that we can continue to meet the needs of those in need.
Weymouth Food Bank can be contacted on 07531 167465 or email.
Open from 10-30am-12-30pm on Tuesdays and Fridays.
Prayer Bulletin and Newsletter
Charity no. 1130511
2019 was a very busy year for Weymouth Foodbank. We saw our referrals increase by 5.8%, a large proportion of which were families. In total 2,239 adults and 1,533 children have been helped by Weymouth Foodbank during the year. As a food parcel provides three meals a day for three days, so over 2019 we provided a total of 33,948 meals, up from 27,588 last year! Also, over the Christmas period we were able to give out 114 hampers of extra treats to our clients, which included food and small presents.
We have been in awe at the Lord’s provision for this ministry. We receive gifts of food and money from many sources over the town and beyond, from churches, schools, businesses, individuals, families and churches. We are so grateful for every single gift that we receive and pray that the giver will be blessed in knowing they have helped people who are struggling at the moment.
We praise and thank the Lord for -
- The generosity of the people of Weymouth
- For having premises we can use at Weymouth Baptist Church
- For our amazing team of volunteers
- For every client who comes to Foodbank
- For the opportunity to speak to some clients about the Lord
And we pray –
- For more opportunities to share our faith with our clients
- For permission from our clients to pray with and for them
- For full empathy and understanding for the team of volunteers for the clients
- For the problems the clients face, that a way forward will present itself
- For our team of volunteers, some of whom are struggling with health issues
- For the peace and presence of the Lord to linger in the room during Foodbank sessions
- For opportunities to sit and chat with the clients
‘For there will never cease to be poor in the land. Therefore I command you, “You shall open wide your hand to your brother, to the needy and to the poor in your land”.’ Deuteronomy 15 v 11
‘Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you.’ Luke 6 v 38
Portland Food Bank
is located in St John's Church Hall, Ventnor Road, Portland, DT5 1JE - see map.
They are open on Tuesdays and Fridays between 9.30 am and 11.30 am.
They also have a lively Facebook group.
Vouchers to obtain a food parcel are available from:
- Doctors, Health Visitors, Schools, Drug and alcohol advisory offices, Soul Food, The Lantern, Housing Associations and others.
- Vouchers are also available on Portland from the Portland Centre (CAB), Island Community Action (ICA) and Outlooks (Action for Children).
Vouchers cover enough food for three meals a day for three days per person.