News of events happening around our local area, and further afield
Page updated 5th December 2019
Blue Christmas - Sunday 15th December, 4.30 pm
A quiet reflective service at St Mary’s Church for anyone facing a difficult Christmas.
Healing on the Streets
Please note that, for the foreseeable future, this ministry will only operate on the first Saturday of every month, meeting beside St Mary’s Church in St Mary’s Street in Weymouth from 10 am-12 noon.
The next meeting will be on: Saturday 4th January 2020
They will postpone until the next Saturday if the forecast is bad. God willing, by this method, HOTS should get one session in each month.
Safe Sleep started on Monday 2nd December. It is never too late to volunteer! Evening shifts start at 8 pm (depending on the venue) and go on until 11.00/11.30 pm. Breakfast shifts are from 7.30-8.45 am. We also need meals cooked and cakes, help with the laundry run and a team to help with the move on Monday mornings. If you can help in any way please contact Cherry Clarke.
Thank you all so much for your donations of food. We have been overwhelmed by your generosity and well stocked up. We are happy to receive what has already been donated. However, due to storage issues at the moment, we do not need you to collect any more for the time being. Should stocks run low we will let you know. This does not include cakes! Many thanks from all at Safe Sleep.
Refresh Witness Services 2020
Please note that there will be no service in December.
The Refresh Witness Services that start at 6.30pm have been arranged for the first three months and are as follows:
January 26th - St Aldhelm's. February 23rd - Ebenezer Church. March 29th - Easton Methodist Church, Portland.
- Family Matters is here to make it as easy as possible for local families to support one another during times of need so that no child in Weymouth and Portland grows up without essential items. The sorting of clothes has begun and the publicity and paperwork is being prepared. We are getting closer to the launch - mid January is the date in the diary! There are a variety of roles/jobs that you can help with, both on site and at home. If you are interested or would like to be involved, please contact Cherry Clarke.
- Baby bank now has a new name! Family Matters is a new project being set up to help families and new mums and their babies with both equipment and support. A hub will be start soon and satellites will open up where there is a need. If you would be interested in helping with this project, please email.
- Nativity on the move. Due to unforeseen circumstances, Nativity on the Move in the town centre on December 7th has had to be cancelled. We are planning to do this event next year. If anybody is interested in joining the planning team, please contact Cherry.
- Refresh Champions If you are passionate about seeing the churches of Weymouth and Portland praying and working together in our towns and would like to be the Refresh champion for your church or if you just want to know more about what this is about please contact Cherry.
- Carol Singing The churches of Weymouth have been invited to lead an hour of carol singing in Weymouth on Sunday 15th December from 2-3 pm. If you would like to be a part of this event, please contact Cherry.
- Acts 4:35 Have you heard about Acts 4:35? Do you have a passion for blessing people with what they need? If you do, then check out their website acts435.org.uk and if you're interested in helping this to become a reality in Weymouth and Portland please contact Cherry Clarke (07514 114680).
Safe Families for Children
Earlier this year there was an excellent presentation by this organisation. If you missed it and would like to know more about what it does please have a look at the website.
Spring Harvest 2020. Theme: Unleashed – The Acts Church Today
Booking lines are now open for the following:
Minehead week 1 4 - 9 April
Minehead week 2 13 - 17 April
Skegness 13 - 17 April
Harrogate 14 - 18 April
To book for Minehead & Skegness call Butlin’s directly on 0330 100 9330 or book online.
Prices vary depending on the type of accommodation. Please help yourself to a brochure from the ‘Hub’ desk.
If you are looking to go to Harrogate, you can also save £15 per adult with the early booking discount until Friday 29th November.