News of events happening around our local area, and further afield
Page updated 18th October 2019
Refresh Witness Service
Just a reminder that the next Refresh Witness Service is on Sunday 27th October, 6.30 pm at Weymouth Baptist Church. Everybody is welcome to come and worship together, pray for our town and be equipped to be witnesses of Jesus.
MAF's Week of Prayer 2019
From 3–10 November, we are holding the second global week of prayer for MAF and those we serve. Join us as we unite and pray together. Details on their website.
CityWorship are nights of unforgettable encounter and worship, bringing people together from across the wider Southampton region. Hosted by Southampton churches, with worship led by one of the UK’s leading worship teams, King’s Village, these nights are for everyone; for young people, for those inside and outside the church - a space for everyone to unite together.
Tickets costs £3 and parking can be found 5 minutes away at College Road SO14 3EJ and costs £2 after 6 pm.
Have you been bullied? Have you been a bully? Don't Suffer in Silence
Research shows that 1 in 2 adults will be affected by bullying at some point in their lifetime either directly or indirectly, with the most vulnerable in our society being at greatest risk.
November is National Antibullying month and Dorset Anti-Bullying Service are hosting an awareness and fundraising evening at St Johns Church on Wednesday 13th November 2019, 7 pm-9.30 pm. Tickets are free and can be reserved here,
The epic journey of Christian who faces distractions, challenges, and perils at every turn of the way has been adapted to modern day. If you would like a viewing locally then call one of our local cinemas to ask for a showing and invite your friends, small groups, churches or even suggest it to your local school. Resources for school and youth are available online and funding for block bookings is available from Scripture Union.
A concert by Abertillery Male Voice Choir is being held at Holy Trinity Church on Saturday 19th October at 7 pm on behalf of the Weymouth RNLI and Holy Trinity Church.
Dorchester Community Church are running an adoption and fostering evening on Saturday October 26th for anyone who's life is touched by adoption or fostering and for churches who have members who are adopters or foster carers.
Healing on the Streets
This ministry now meets beside St Mary’ Church in St Mary’ Street in Weymouth from 10 am-12 noon on the first and third Saturdays in the month as follows: October 19th, November 2nd, 16th.
Eagles Wings Prayer Ministry Newsletter
The Eagle’s Wings Prayer News for September and October is available here. Mike says, "Also attached is an overview of the conclusions in Michael Green’s book When God Breaks In, which I feel are timely for our nation and the Church in our nation. It is a worthwhile read and a very accessible one looking at significant movements of God by His Spirit from Acts 2 until 21st century."
An open letter from CAP (Christians Against Poverty)
Read CAP's letter on their page.
- Safe sleep, giving hot food and a bed to the rough sleepers on the streets of Weymouth, will be happening again. Maybe for a bit longer and probably in more venues. There are many different ways that you could help so if you would like to volunteer to help please email.
- Baby bank now has a new name! Family Matters is a new project being set up to help families and new mums and their babies with both equipment and support. A hub will be start soon and satellites will open up where there is a need. If you would be interested in helping with this project, please email.
- Nativity on the move. Due to unforeseen circumstances, Nativity on the Move in the town centre on December 7th has had to be cancelled. We are planning to do this event next year. If anybody is interested in joining the planning team, please contact Cherry.
- Refresh Champions If you are passionate about seeing the churches of Weymouth and Portland praying and working together in our towns and would like to be the Refresh champion for your church or if you just want to know more about what this is about please contact Cherry.
- Carol Singing The churches of Weymouth have been invited to lead an hour of carol singing in Weymouth on Sunday 15th December from 2-3 pm. If you would like to be a part of this event, please contact Cherry.
Safe Families for Children
Earlier this year there was an excellent presentation by this organisation. If you missed it and would like to know more about what it does please have a look at the website.
There are children across Dorset who are struggling and need someone like you!
A Request from Refresh
Please could you pass this on to anybody who may be able to help.
We urgently require properties to move some families into and help bring more Syrian refugee families to Dorset. Unfortunately we are not able to house families on Portland so we are looking at Weymouth and other towns in Dorset. Attached is a leaflet for potential landlords. For more information please email Jenny Willoughby.
Acts 4:35Have you heard about Acts 4:35? Do you have a passion for blessing people with what they need? If you do, then check out their website acts435.org.uk and if you're interested in helping this to become a reality in Weymouth and Portland please contact Cherry Clarke (07514 114680) or Claire Atkin.
Spring Harvest 2020. Theme: Unleashed – The Acts Church Today
Booking lines are now open for the following:
Minehead week 1 4 - 9 April
Minehead week 2 13 - 17 April
Skegness 13 - 17 April
Harrogate 14 - 18 April
To book for Minehead & Skegness call Butlin’s directly on 0330 100 9330 or book online.
Prices vary depending on the type of accommodation. Please help yourself to a brochure from the ‘Hub’ desk.
If you are looking to go to Harrogate, you can also save £15 per adult with the early booking discount until Friday 29th November.